Documentary of the Week Poll:

Monday, June 24, 2013

DOTW Review: Jiro Dreams of Sushi

DO YOU LIKE SUSHI?!?!






I hope you answered Yes to that question. Jiro Dreams of Sushi follows the owner and his eldest son who runs a 15 seat, $300 per plate restaurant in Tokyo. If you think retiring at 65 is bad, Jiro has made sushi for over that amount of time. Since his teens, he has perfected the art and business of serving fish and rice. Only the best tuna. Only the best octopus. Only the best rice. Only the most well trained staff. The film introduces you to Jiro's experts in each of their respective fields. When was the last time you had to make reservations a month in advance to get a seat?

You fall in love with Jiro's obsession of sushi perfection. It made me want to find a career where I could feel as strongly as him. He encourages you to find a career, stick with it, and become the best at what you do. His son will continue the 3 star Michelin rated hotel once Jiro decides his time is done. 

Pros: Who doesn't like a movie about food? Subtitles help me stay focused on all the details. I got to eat food while watching. Good soundtrack. Perfect length of film. 

Cons: I have to wait a couple more years before loans are paid off before I can afford the trip out there. Some people hate subtitles. TVs don't have that technology yet where you can grab food from the screen. Massaging an octopus isn't for everybody.

Either way, you will leave this film drooling.

-CWAIV

1 comment:

  1. I want to be his intern and make rice with him

    ReplyDelete