Documentary of the Week Poll:

Monday, July 8, 2013

DOTW Review: Into the Abyss


This documentary is about a triple homicide in Conroe, Texas. Michael Perry received the death penalty and Jason Burkett was sentenced to life for the crimes. The film examines all the people affected by the crimes of these two young boys. 

Most of the people who watched this film (at least who I know) were less than impressed. There was no climax or wow factor to the documentary. But I have to say- that's what I liked about it. Sometimes (most of the time) documentaries are a huge hype. Don't get me wrong.. I'm all about the hype... but it's kind of like drinking a red bull- you're bound to crash after a couple hours. I'm usually the one who calls my entire phonebook with a verbal power point presentation on why we have to stop global warming, kill the oil companies, move to Canada, take down the government etc. I start making protest signs, marching down to D.C. chanting whatever the message was of the doc I just watched 10 minutes ago. This one was different though... it was more raw, just showing you the true emotions behind every person's story. 

I've never had a firm opinion on the death penalty but it was pretty crazy to hear someone talk about how he was going to be put to death in 8 days. But the MOST intriguing part to me was the interview with the state executor and hearing his opinions on everything. You have to watch it to really grasp it so I won't get into anymore detail. Some other things I took away from the film was: the town seems a little looney, I thought Jason's prison wife was insane in the membrane, Jason's dad annoyed me (I hate pity parties), and last but not least the lesson of the film... don't kill people for a car. Literally one of the dumbest motives I've heard in awhile.

Well that's a wrap. Let me know what you all thought of it by commenting on the post! Thanks everyone!



Doc on dudes,

KC

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well where to start on a documentary that brings the sadness of humanity from so many angles. Overall a bit long but not as aggressively a leaning documentary as I would have expected. Unlike many nations we in the United States remain challenged by our justice system, its fairness and the pinnacle of justice; the death penalty. The death penalty is in decline across our states and projects like the innocence project have brought to light many problems in our system (http://www.innocenceproject.org/). The plot here is mixed in that it challenges the unfairness of the sentencing but also brings up the death penalty. It draws facts into the history of the two inmates to better understand what may have led up to the events that occurred. However the net is clear. Should they have both been sentenced to death or both to life. I do have an issue with the separation of the two. Hearing the history I believe that there will never be any contributing value for either in society. Of course for one parole will never be an option.

    I agree with Kelly in that it was an anti- climatic end but I think that was purposeful. We knew the end was death. Personally both should have been given the same sentence and that is the "hanging" question. For many the movie does provide some insights into the death penalty and its affect on our society. We live in a democracy and I believe our system has chosen how to deliver justice. Democracy can change that either way. I had no sympathy for either person but at the same time it brought thoughts on how can we as a society change a troubled persons path early so events like this do not happen. Unfortunately, humanity is a nasty mix of DNA, environment and free will which results in random events every day.

    Ironically his death occurred on Canada day; a country without the death penalty.

    As Kelly says...That a Wrap.

    ReplyDelete