Documentary of the Week Poll:

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

DOTW Review: Talhotblond

So I'm gonna be honest because I like you guys, I slipped a little on this week's doc review. I didn't do my research (rookie mistake) and the documentary was taken off the Instant Netflix section so that sucked. Also, what I didn't realize is there are two different "Talhotblond" movies and I failed to specify which one we were supposed to watch. I ended up googling a way to watch it free online and was lead to the lifetime version of the movie (not knowing there were two different movies). If you watched the original documentary version then I apologize and invite you to comment with your review of that one!

Now for the review- Directed by Courteney Cox this Lifetime Original Movie is based on a true story. Thomas Montgomery is an average middle-aged working man who lives a pretty boring life. He's a family man and has two daughters with his wife, Carol Montgomery. His life gets a little more exciting when he decides to start playing online poker and meets a girl named Katie. He introduces himself as "Tommy," a younger U.S. Marine. As you can guess, they start an online relationship that escalates pretty quickly. A three way love triangle emerges involving Thomas' co-worker/family friend, Brian. Lies are revealed, someone dies, someone goes to jail and there's a twist at the end.

This is a classic Lifetime Original Movie. Not really a documentary but it was entertaining to watch. I would be interested in watching the real documentary which would shed some light into the real story that it was based on. "Catfish" stories are always going to be intriguing though, especially when it results in a murder. I don't know if I'd say that I recommend this movie to anyone but I didn't hate it. PS the scene where Thomas smells the package of underwear from Katie was probably the creepiest scene in the movie. So there's that.... The End. 

Keep it real doc fans. I'll do better next week.

- @kellclagg


No comments:

Post a Comment